It’s hard to imagine that we have already experienced two glorious months of summertime and that in a few short weeks school is back in, sun kissed skin begins to pale, and we try to remember where we packed away the fall gear. Now, this isn’t meant to be a sad song about the end of a season, in fact it is quite the opposite. Realistically speaking, we are lucky to have a variety of joys to celebrate in every part of the year here in Alberta, although -40 with windchill does not make the cut. So with that being said, we want to share our top ten loves of summer in the Rockies! And the top ten are…..
1. Loooonnnngg days – One if the very best things about being situated in Southern Alberta are the luxuriously long days filled with hours of sunshine!
2. Perfect temperatures – Along with warm sunshiney days, we often have little humidity which lends itself to cool nights perfect for sleeping with the windows open and au natural air conditioning.
3. Campfires – On the heels of #2, cool nights are the perfect setting for your favourite sweatshirt, s’more fixins, and a good ol’ campfire. When conditions permit there are few things better than sitting around with friends and family and enjoying storytelling and star gazing. Always be sure to check that you are in compliance with current rules and regulations before starting any fire.
4. Porches – Back, front, side….we don’t discriminate! Any time spent on a porch in the summer is time well spent. Whether you are having your morning coffee and reading the paper, enjoying a lazy Sunday with your nose in a good book, or having an after dinner drink just watching the world go by, there is something so relaxing of summer hours spent on a porch.
5. Books – As mentioned above, be it enjoyed on a porch swing, hammock, park bench or picnic blanket, books are the literary fruit of the season! A little book reading under the shade of a tree can add years to your life, at least we think so;)
6. BBQ – BBQ in the summer is like hot chocolate in the winter, they’re just made for each other. Ribs, chicken, kebabs, grilled corn on the cob…we could go on but we’re already salivating.
7. Fresh fruit and veg – Nothing tastes better than food that’s in season! Berries, apples, corn…the list goes on and on. The beauty of in season produce is that it is at its peak, you barely need to do anything to it and it is guaranteed to taste divine!
8. Vacation – Though as adults summer vacation isn’t the two month holiday that young kids look forward to, there is certainly an element of nostalgia about taking some time off in the summer. A long weekend camping or hiking, a staycation hanging out in the backyard, or a lengthy roadtrip, summer vacation brings out the kid in all of us.
9. Stampede – Clearly this is specific to our region but who can honestly say that Stampede isn’t one of the best aspects of living in our part of Alberta? Food, rodeo, chucks, music, art, carnival games, rides, culture, history…heck, no wonder it’s called “The Greatest Outdoor Show On Earth”.
10. Wild flowers – One of the very best things that summer brings to The Crossing is acres of unique and beautiful wildflowers. All different hues, shapes, and sizes; their simple beauty is a reminder that Mother Nature loves us all.